Grey Rock Senior Men’s Golf Association Guidelines
The Grey Rock Senior Men’s Golf Association (SMGA) promotes friendship and competitive fun golf for senior players of the Grey Rock Golf Club. The SMGA plays a game created by gentlemen. It’s a sport driven by the rules, honesty and respect, in a spirit of competitive cordiality. Our demeanor, attitude and actions are those we wish to be of a true gentlemen and a reflection of ourselves and our club thus we treat all our members and guests with respect and dignity.
Guidelines for Participation and Play
- Be a minimum of 55 years of age and love the game of golf.
- Play in compliance with USGA Rules and/or local rules as posted.
- SMGA tournament participation requires a player to play in an average of one weekly event per month. Special situations will be considered.
- All scores are posted in GHIN as gross. Maximum score per hole is 9.
- GHIN handicaps or an SMGA handicap system will be used for managing weekly games. The SMGA Board will assign a handicap for players that have not established a handicap.
- Putts may be conceded when ball is “within the leather”, as measured by having each player’s putter marked to the same length with a piece of black electrical tape at 20”. All putts to be considered “within the leather” must be fully inside (not touching) the black tape marking. SMGA Board members will apply the tape.
- Guests of SMGA members that meet the age and handicap requirements may be included in the money game. Guests not meeting these requirements may play in our weekly games but will be excluded from the entry fee and prize awards.
- Grey Rock membership is not required but encouraged.
Super Senior Options
- Super Senior must be 75 years old or older
- Play the White tees with the appropriate handicap
- Or, play the Red tees with the appropriate handicap
- Player must declare which tees he will play prior to teeing off. These tees must be played for all 18 holes.
- At times the game format may vary which will require the Board to discuss what options a Super Senior has (i.e. Red-White-Blue, Blue tees, etc.)
A player that has incurred a health situation causing his playability to be hampered must petition the Board to grant the Super Senior Options for a prescribed period of time. Board should advise player in a timely manner.
SMGA Advisory Board
The Advisory Board represents the interests of SMGA members to the management of Grey Rock, and other entities, to enhance awareness of SMGA contributions, both present, and potential. Board is made up of SMGA members and one Grey Rock staff member. Purpose of the Board is to meet on a frequency as needed and manage the following:
- Communicate all events and information of interest weekly or as needed.
- Schedule all golf events (weekly play, tournaments, etc.).
- Review and/or assign SMGA member handicaps and adjust when needed.
- Communicate format playing rules for all golf events and record scores.
- Continually train members on USGA rules of golf.
- Distribute a current SMGA roster.
- Openly receive and manage SMGA member complaints, disagreements or suggestions in a timely manner. All such complaints or disagreements should be addressed directly to the board and no other players.
Frequent communications will include: Game Winners, Closest-to-Pin Winners, Schedule and Posted Scores. An updated Roster and SMGA Guidelines will be communicated as needed.
Weekly SMGA Events
Entry fees for all weekday SMGA games are $10 payable in the pro shop prior to the start of play. CTP’s (Closest-to-the-Pin) will be paid $5 on all four par 3’s in each weekly game. Winning payouts for each game will depend on the number of players and the type of format played each day. $5 will be deposited each game in the SMGA Players Fund to support items approved by the SMGA Board.
- Monday - Game is an individual low net, full GHIN handicap played from the white tees. The player is to give his gross number of strokes on each hole to the score keeper in the playing group, player’s gross number of strokes minus his handicap (GHIN Index @ tee slope) is the score used to determine his ranking in the day’s competition.
- Tuesday – Game is a variety of formats (i.e. Individual, 2-Man Best Ball, 2-Man Shamble, etc. etc.). Rules for how to play the weekly format will be communicated. Handicaps will vary depending on the format played. This will be managed by the pro shop.
- Thursday – Game is Skins with a payout based on both Gross and Net Skins by hole. A total of 36 skins are contested in each round. No CTP’s in this game.
- Friday - Game with 2 or more player teams played from the white tees in a best net ball format. Play Blue tees on 1st Friday of each month.
SMGA yearly starting tee times:
11am Dec, Jan, Feb
9am Mar, Apr, May
8am Jun, Jul, Aug
9am Sep, Oct, Nov
If an SMGA player makes a Hole-in-One during an SMGA sanctioned game, he will be rewarded by offering drinks in the Grey Rock Grille. A reasonable bar bill will be paid out of the $5 SMGA Players Fund.
SMGA Scheduled Tournaments
- March 3 - SMGA Shootout –27 holes
- May 19 & 21 - SMGA Cup 36 holes
- September - SMGA Match Play Tournament – weekly 18 hole matches all month with matches scheduled by individuals
- November 3 & 5 - SMGA Championship – 36 hole medal play
Special Tournament Notes:
- All tournament schedules are tentative at this time.
- Tournament rules and entry fees will be posted prior to each event.
- Important reminder: participation in tournaments requires a minimum level of participation in weekly events as noted in Guidelines for Participation and Play.